Re: proposal or just idea for psql - show first N rows from relation backslash statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: proposal or just idea for psql - show first N rows from relation backslash statement
Date
Re: proposal or just idea for psql - show first N rows from relation backslash statement  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> few year ago I proposed a implementation of macros - and I wrote a
> prototype - enhanced psql
>
> http://okbob.blogspot.cz/search?q=epsql
>
> but now I don't think so enhancing psql in this direction is good way.
> Enhanced console needs creating from scratch - it should be based on
> some interpret language - LUA or javascript - probably it can be
> better integrated to modern UI, can better do autocomplete - and this
> design is out of my time possibilities and out of my targets.

The main argument against psql macros II guess is that if you want
bash like features, well, use bash.

For my part I think that whenever psql enhancements are brought up the
first think to consider is 'should this functionality exist on the
server side'.   With proper stored procedures we get to write our own
stuff like:

CALL top10('foo');

which seems more general and just as terse.  So I think implementing
call syntax is probably topping my 'wanted feature' list.

merlin