Re: Materializing a view by hand - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Materializing a view by hand
Date
List pgsql-general
All your view and function creation statements should be in scripts that you maintain as a kind of best practice.  If you've done that, then you can simply drop/cascade the view you're replacing after you renamed it and then rebuild the rest of them.

I actually go one step further and put the view creation scripts into a function: then I can just do 'SELECT RebuildViews();' at appropriate moments.  This typically happens at the very end of the materialization process switcheroo I have to do if my view has to be available while the materialization is happening.  Postgres 9.4 will make this technique basically obsolete with the lock-free refresh (Thanks Kevin!).

merlin