Re: Inadequate thought about buffer locking during hot standby replay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Inadequate thought about buffer locking during hot standby replay
Date
Re: Inadequate thought about buffer locking during hot standby replay  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Ok. It won't help all that much on 9.0, though.
>
> Well, it won't help GIST much, but the actually-reported-from-the-field
> case is in btree, and it does fix that.
>
> It occurs to me that if we're sufficiently scared of this case, we could
> probably hack the planner (in 9.0 only) to refuse to use GIST indexes
> in hot-standby queries.  That cure might be worse than the disease though.

if anything, it should be documented.  if you do this kind of thing
people will stop installing bugfix releases.

merlin