Re: PGAdmin 4 architecture (Was: [Patch] PGAdmin 4 JSON Handling) - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PGAdmin 4 architecture (Was: [Patch] PGAdmin 4 JSON Handling)
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 5:40 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Ronan Dunklau
> > In my opinion, it should either be done by using a set of widgets already
> > designed to work together (think of wxwidgets, but for the web), using one of
> > the frameworks I mentioned before. Or alternatively, by developing the glue
> > between those widgets ourselves, using something like Backbone to wrap those
> > libraries into nice views able to play together.
>
> The problem is that I haven't found any OSS frameworks that provide
> anything like the capabilities we have by using ad-hoc components.
> There is nothing at all that comes close to the functionality (and
> look/feel) of wcDocker, CodeMirror, AlertifyJS and aciTree that I've
> found, let alone in a single framework. I've spent a *lot* of time
> researching that, and trying to find components that give us what
> we're going to need.

+1 this.  A lot of the unified frameworks have problems that should
make you very cautious in terms of using them for the general case.
Beware libraries that are 'all in' and make it difficult to mix/match
different widgets.

Even some of the best frameworks, such as angular, can be difficult to
write highly performant code against because there is so much action
at a distance going on.  For my 0.02$ I'll throw slickgrid into the
mix which is a very fast library (see:
http://mleibman.github.io/SlickGrid/examples/example-optimizing-dataview.html)
and a good API.  For a general purpose admin tool, performance is very
important.

merlin