Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:32 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Nathan Wagner <nw+pg@hydaspes.if.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> I don't have the original message for this thread, so I arbitrarily picked
>> message to reply to.
>>
>> Since what has been asked for is a bug *tracker*, and we already have a
>> bugs
>> mailing list, I put together something.
>
> FWIW, I think this is a good approach in general. This makes it a  bug
> *tracker*, rather than a "workflow enforcer". That depends on what we want
> of course, but those are two very different things and many of the other
> tools suggested are more workflow enforcers.

+1

The key points is how people interact with the tool; as long as the
interaction is basically "one way" from email to the tracking tool
(either debbugs or something hand rolled) it should work as long as it
provides value.  The main output of the tool is to do thing like
making qualified searches of bug fixes by version easier and perhaps
supporting release note generation.

Personally I think a hand-rolled tool is a better choice for this
project given that the requirements are so specific; it can be thought
of as an extension of the commit fest framework.

merlin