Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 09:57 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> What is not going to be so clear for users (particularly without good
>> supporting documentation) is how things break down in terms of usage
>> between hstore and jsonb.
>
> Realistically?  Once we get done with mapping the indexes and operators,
> users who are used to Hstore1 use Hstore2, and everyone else uses jsonb.
>  jsonb is nothing other than a standardized syntax interface to hstore2,
> and most users will choose the syntax similar to what they already know
> over learning new stuff.

The problem is that as of today, they are not done and AFAICT will not
be for 9.4.  Developers wanting to utilize the nosql pattern are going
to have to lean heavily on hstore API and that's a simple
fact...people reading about all the great new feature of postgres are
going to want to learn how to do things and it's reasonable to want to
anticipate the things they want to do and explain how to use them.  I
would like to extend that case coverage to include the json type as
well as its documentation is pretty lousy for that (I should know: I
wrote most of it).

merlin