Re: bytea columns and large values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: bytea columns and large values
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Merlin,
>
>> The lo interface sucks but it's slightly better on resources for
>> really huge bytea and tends to be more consistently implemented in
>> database drivers.  If I was doing this, I would of course be crafting
>> a carefully generated client in C, using libpqtypes, which is the gold
>> standard for sending bytea against which all others should be judged.
>
> I am sorry, but why the Large Objects interface sucks?

hm, good question. well, it's not sql and is outside the type system.
imo, bytea is really the way to go for sending binary.   also, if it
turns out that we need to add features to send large pieces of data,
it should not be specific to bytea.

merlin

merlin