Re: feature request - update nowait - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: feature request - update nowait
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Eduardo Piombino <drakorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice.
> Much more maintainable IMO and quite close to what I was looking for.
> Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will definitely try it/implement it right
> away.
> Still has some redundancy compared to an hypothetical nowait modifier but I
> think it's the very best alternative so far.
>
> Eduardo

Thanks -- in hindsight though I think it's better to write it this way:

explain update foo set v = 2 from
(
  select id from foo where id = 1 for update nowait
) q where q.id = foo.id;

another interesting way to write it that is 9.1 only is like this:
with x as
(
  select id from foo where id = 1 for update nowait
) update foo set v = 2 where exists (select 1 from x where x.id = foo.id);

which gives approximately the same plan.

merlin