Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 8:20 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 4:43 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The patch looks good to me, I don't have any comments.
> >
> > I tried the v95-0001 patch.
> >
> > - The patch applied cleanly and all build / testing was OK.
> > - The documentation also builds OK.
> > - I checked all v95-0001 / v93-0001 differences and found no problems.
> > - Furthermore, I noted that v95-0001 patch is passing the cfbot [1].
> >
> > So this patch LGTM.
> >

> Thanks, I took another pass over it and made a few changes in docs and
> comments. I am planning to push this next week sometime (by 14th July)
> unless there are more comments from you or someone else. Just to
> summarize, this patch will add support for prepared transactions to
> built-in logical replication. To add support for streaming
> transactions at prepare time into the
> built-in logical replication, we need to do the following things: (a)
> Modify the output plugin (pgoutput) to implement the new two-phase API
> callbacks, by leveraging the extended replication protocol. (b) Modify
> the replication apply worker, to properly handle two-phase
> transactions by replaying them on prepare. (c) Add a new SUBSCRIPTION
> option "two_phase" to allow users to enable
> two-phase transactions. We enable the two_phase once the initial data
> sync is over. Refer to comments atop worker.c in the patch and commit
> message to see further details about this patch. After this patch,
> there is a follow-up patch to allow streaming and two-phase options
> together which I feel needs some more review and can be committed
> separately.

FYI - I repeated the same verification of the v96-0001 patch as I did
previously for v95-0001

- The v96 patch applied cleanly and all build / testing was OK.
- The documentation also builds OK.
- I checked the v95-0001 / v96-0001 differences and found no problems.
- Furthermore, I noted that v96-0001 patch is passing the cfbot.

LGTM.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.