Re: row filtering for logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: row filtering for logical replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 1:20 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 7:37 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 3:28 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hmm, I think the gain via caching is not visible because we are using
> > > simple expressions. It will be visible when we use somewhat complex
> > > expressions where expression evaluation cost is significant.
> > > Similarly, the impact of this change will magnify and it will also be
> > > visible when a publication has many tables. Apart from performance,
> > > this change is logically correct as well because it would be any way
> > > better if we don't invalidate the cached expressions unless required.
> >
> > Please tell me what is your idea of a "complex" row filter expression.
> > Do you just mean a filter that has multiple AND conditions in it? I
> > don't really know if few complex expressions would amount to any
> > significant evaluation costs, so I would like to run some timing tests
> > with some real examples to see the results.
> >

> I think this means you didn't even understand or are convinced why the
> patch has cache in the first place. As per your theory, even if we
> didn't have cache, it won't matter but that is not true otherwise, the
> patch wouldn't have it.

I have never said there should be no caching. On the contrary, my
performance test results [1] already confirmed that caching ExprState
is of benefit for the millions of times it may be used in the
pgoutput_row_filter function. My only doubts are in regard to how much
observable impact there would be re-evaluating the filter expression
just a few extra times by the get_rel_sync_entry function.

------
[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHut%2BPs5j7mkO0xLmNW%3DkXh0eezGoKyzBCiQc9bfkCiM_MVDrg%40mail.gmail.com

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.