Re: Support logical replication of DDLs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Please include all known information about how this feature looks from
the user's POV.

Ideally, this information should be in the form of PGDOCS updates
included in patch 00001.

I think documenting these details should not be deferred - reviewers
will want to experiment with the feature, and also to be able to
consider about any behaviour pros/cons.

~

e.g. I can guess from the patch 0004 test cases maybe it currently
looks like this:

CREATE PUBLICATION mypub FOR ALL TABLES with (publish = 'insert,
update, delete, ddl')

But without documented details, that just raises more questions:

e.g.
- Does it mean the DDL replication all-or-nothing? What if I only want
to create missing tables, but not everything else?
- Is 'ddl' publish option able to be specified when using CREATE
PUBLICATION ... FOR ALL TABLES?
- What if I want to replicate DDL but not data (e.g. for making an
empty "test" database)? Will just saying publish='ddl' allow that?
- etc.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.