Re: Skipping schema changes in publication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: Skipping schema changes in publication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 9:32 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another idea that occurred to me today for tables this is as follows:
> 1. Allow to mention except during create publication ... For All Tables.
> CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR ALL TABLES EXCEPT TABLE t1,t2;
> 2. Allow to Reset it. This new syntax will reset all objects in the
> publications.
> Alter Publication ... RESET;
> 3. Allow to add it to an existing publication
> Alter Publication ... Add ALL TABLES [EXCEPT TABLE t1,t2];
>
> I think it can be extended in a similar way for schema syntax as well.

If the proposed syntax ALTER PUBLICATION ... RESET will reset all the
objects in the publication then there still seems simple way to remove
only the EXCEPT list but leave everything else intact. IIUC to clear
just the EXCEPT list would require a 2 step process - 1) ALTER ...
RESET then 2) ALTER ... ADD ALL TABLES again.

I was wondering if it might be useful to have a variation that *only*
resets the EXCEPT list, but still leaves everything else as-is?

So, instead of:
ALTER PUBLICATION pubname RESET

use a syntax something like:
ALTER PUBLICATION pubname RESET {ALL | EXCEPT}
or
ALTER PUBLICATION pubname RESET [EXCEPT]

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia