Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition
Date
List pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAApHDvpqBR7u9yzW4yggjG%3DQfN%3DFZsc8Wo2ckokpQtif-%2BiQ2A%40mail.gmail.com#2d900bfe18fce17f97ec1f00800c8e27

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/MN2PR18MB2927F7B5F690065E1194B258E35D0%40MN2PR18MB2927.namprd18.prod.outlook.com

> But an unfortunate consequence of not fixing the historic issues is that it
> precludes the possibility that anyone could be expected to notice if they
> introduce more instances of the same problem (as in the first half of these
> patches).  Then the hole which has already been dug becomes deeper, further
> increasing the burden of fixing the historic issues before being able to use
> -Wshadow.
>
> The first half of the patches fix shadow variables newly-introduced in v15
> (including one of my own patches), the rest are fixing the lowest hanging fruit
> of the "short list" from COPT=-Wshadow=compatible-local
>
> I can't see that any of these are bugs, but it seems like a good goal to move
> towards allowing use of the -Wshadow* options to help avoid future errors, as
> well as cleanliness and readability (rather than allowing it to get harder to
> use -Wshadow).

Hey, thanks for picking this up!

I'd started looking at these [1] last year and spent a day trying to
categorise them all in a spreadsheet (shadows a global, shadows a
parameter, shadows a local var etc) but I became swamped by the
volume, and then other work/life got in the way.

+1 from me.

------
[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAHut%2BPuv4LaQKVQSErtV_%3D3MezUdpipVOMt7tJ3fXHxt_YK-Zw%40mail.gmail.com