Re: GUC values - recommended way to declare the C variables? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: GUC values - recommended way to declare the C variables?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 3:16 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:56:58AM +1100, Peter Smith wrote:
> > Patch 0002 adds a sanity-check function called by
> > InitializeGUCOptions, as suggested by Tom [2]. This is to ensure that
> > the GUC C variable initial values are sensible and/or have not gone
> > stale compared with the compiled-in defaults of guc_tables.c. This
> > patch also changes some GUC C variable initial values which were
> > already found (by this sanity-checker) to be different.
>
> I like it.
>
> However it's fails on windows:
>
> https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5545965036765184
>
> running bootstrap script ... FATAL:  GUC (PGC_BOOL) update_process_title, boot_val=0, C-var=1
>
> Maybe you need to exclude dynamically set gucs ?
> See also this other thread, where I added a flag identifying exactly
> that.  https://commitfest.postgresql.org/40/3736/
> I need to polish that patch some, but maybe it'll be useful for you, too.

Great, this looks very helpful. I will try again tomorrow by skipping
over such GUCs.

And I noticed a couple of other C initial values I had changed
coincide with what you've marked as GUC_DYNAMIC_DEFAULT so I'll
restore those to how they were before too.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia