Re: FOR UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From said assemlal
Subject Re: FOR UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-general
> Why do you want to lock these results?

Because we are migrating very old pipeline where we save data in file texts. So we have decided to keep some logics inside perl code. That means to update a record:
 1. we have to read/lock it
 2. return the result to the application
 3. the application does its business and return the new value to the database
 4. we update the record.

> What do you mean "empty"?  If you pass the empty string, the query will
> return rows that have the empty string in those columns.  Note that the
> NULL value is not the same as the empty string.  If the function is
> defined as STRICT (also spelled RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT), then the
> function is not even called if you pass NULL arguments, and it simply
> returns NULL without locking anything.

By empty I mean: ''

Not necessarily ... depends on what you want to happen.

It is a migration case so I was thinking to take the more safe way..

So I think the behaviour is clear to me now.

Thank you.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/