Re: SSD Drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Rees
Subject Re: SSD Drives
Date
Re: SSD Drives  (Bret Stern <bret_stern@machinemanagement.com>)
Re: SSD Drives  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Re: SSD Drives  (Brent Wood <Brent.Wood@niwa.co.nz>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Bret Stern
> <bret_stern@machinemanagement.com> wrote:
>> Any opinions/comments on using SSD drives with postgresql?
>
> Here's a single S3700 smoking an array of 16 15k drives (poster didn't
> realize that; was to focused on synthetic numbers):
> http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/45224/postgres-write-performance-on-intel-s3700-ssd

I just ran a quick test earlier this week on an old Dell 2970 (2
Opteron 2387, 16GB RAM) comparing a 6-disk RAID10 with 10k 147GB SAS
disks to a 2-disk RAID1 with 480GB Intel S3500 SSDs and found the SSDs
are about 4-6x faster using pgbench and a scaling factor of 1100. Some
sort of MegaRAID controller according to lspci and has BBU. TPS
numbers below are approximate.

RAID10 disk array:
8 clients: 350 tps
16 clients: 530 tps
32 clients: 800 tps

RAID1 SSD array:
8 clients: 2100 tps
16 clients: 2500 tps
32 clients: 3100 tps

So yeah, even the slower, cheaper S3500 SSDs are way fast. If your
write workload isn't too high, the S3500 can work well. We'll see how
the SMART drive lifetime numbers do once we get into production, but
right now we estimate they should last at least 5 years and from what
we've seen it seems that SSDs seem to wear much better than expected.
If not, we'll pony up and go for the S3700 or perhaps move the xlog
back on to spinning disks.

-Dave