Re: New server setup - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Rees
Subject Re: New server setup
Date
Re: New server setup  (Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>)
Re: New server setup  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: New server setup  (Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>)
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM, David Boreham <david_list@boreham.org> wrote:
> You might want to evaluate the performance you can achieve with a single-SSD
> (use several for capacity by all means) before considering a RAID card + SSD
> solution.
> Again I bet it depends on the application but our experience with the older
> Intel 710 series is that their performance out-runs the CPU, at least under
> our PG workload.

How many people are using a single enterprise grade SSD for production
without RAID? I've had a few consumer grade SSDs brick themselves -
but are the enterprise grade SSDs, like the new Intel S3700 which you
can get in sizes up to 800GB, reliable enough to run as a single drive
without RAID1? The performance of one is definitely good enough for
most medium sized workloads without the complexity of a BBU RAID and
multiple spinning disks...

-Dave