Re: Migration to Maven - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Stephen Nelson
Subject Re: Migration to Maven
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Vladimir Sitnikov
<sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
> The main problem with release is maven does not allow multiple deploys
> to the same groupId:artifactId:version.
>
> In other words:
> 1) build via jdk8, deploy -> ok, pom.xml, jdbc42.jar in maven
> 2) build via jdk7, deploy -> fail: "the same pom.xml already exists".

I'm not glad it happened, but glad that you experienced the same issue as me!

I think the Ant build was hiding the fact we do have three different
artifacts but managed to combine them into the same co-ordinates in
Maven Central.

> Frankly speaking I see absolutely no problems with having different
> artifactIds for different jdbc versions provided github readme gives
> <dependency> snippets for jdk6, 7, and 8.

Agreed.

My preference is option C if it is not too onerous, followed by option A.

Option C would appear the cleaner approach, but has the downside or
creating additional workload on a small team. Can we quantify how
difficult would it be to backport fixes?

If the structure of the projects is exactly the same it should be
possible to cherry-pick the commits. If we keep to a standard of using
JDK6-compatible code where possible the branches shouldn't drift too
far from each other. The other benefit is that the pom.xml will be
simpler without all the build profiles and multi-module build.

If not option A seems sensible and will allow us to publish complete
sources, javadoc and the artifact that all correspond to the spec
version.