Re: cache lookup failed for index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willy-Bas Loos
Subject Re: cache lookup failed for index
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com> writes:
> So what i don't get is, -if the above is the case- If  pg_dump expects to
> find an index, it already knows about its existence. Then why does it need
> to look for it again?

pg_dump can't tell the index is no longer there --- but some of the
backend functions it calls can tell, and they throw errors.

There are various ways this might be rejiggered, but none of them
entirely remove all risk of failure in the presence of concurrent DDL.
Personally I'd recommend just retrying the pg_dump until it succeeds.

                        regards, tom lane

Now that i know what it is, I can live with it.
Thanks for the insight!

--
Willy-Bas Loos