Re: Consecutive Inserts Freeze Execution of Psycopg3 - Mailing list psycopg

From Michael P. McDonnell
Subject Re: Consecutive Inserts Freeze Execution of Psycopg3
Date
List psycopg
Thanks Adrian -
I appreciate it; and I've been pouring through documentation to try and get to this point.
I can't help but feel I'm doing it "wrong" but no website I can find recently seems to have a "right" way of doing things that's reasonably kept up.
It would be nice if "wrong" had a way of shooting me in the foot with verbose errors or warnings.

-Mike

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 7:15 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 4/23/23 14:55, Michael P. McDonnell wrote:
> That helped a ton, I don't understand why I've had to rewrite the crap
> out of all of this to get it to work (dropping SqlAlchemy, upgrading
> from psycopg2 to psycopg, etc...) but it's working now and I can work
> around it. Thank you.

Well:

1) SQLAlchemy is an ORM that tries to make all databases look the same.

2) psycopg2 != psycopg. For details see:

https://www.psycopg.org/psycopg3/docs/basic/from_pg2.html

3) It would have been more of a surprise if you did not have to change
anything.

4) And this

with self.connection.cursor() as conn:

was just plain wrong. You where trying to make a cursor be a connection
and that is not going to work.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com