Re: Can we add sample systemd service file to git repo? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nigel Heron
Subject Re: Can we add sample systemd service file to git repo?
Date
Re: Can we add sample systemd service file to git repo?  (Will Crawford <billcrawford1970@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many distros are switching/switched to systemd. In the git repo, we only
> have init script for SysV. Would it make sense to add systemd service
> script to our tarball as well? This could also standardize the systemd
> scripts used in other distros.
>
> http://svn.pgrpms.org/browser/rpm/redhat/9.3/postgresql/F-19/postgresql-9.3.service is an example of what we use in
theRPMs. (if website fails, please just reload)

> Attached is a modified version that will work with the compile defaults.

Hi, should we put PGPORT in the systemd file without an easy way to override it?
As an example, when yum updating minor versions on fedora 18 (using
the yum.postgresql.org rpms), any changes to the systemd service file
are overwritten by the new rpm and the port is forced back to 5432.
This makes having pg9.2 and pg9.3 on the same box conflict after each
minor version update.
On RHEL6 with SysV we have /etc/sysconfig/[..] files to override the
init.d script defaults. The same can be done with systemd using the
"EnvironmentFile" directive, like this:
[Service]
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/sysconfig/postgresql

which would let us keep our overrides of PGPORT and PGDATA across
updates (the "=-" makes the file optional).

Given a choice, I'd rather rely on postgresql.conf to set the port
number though...

-nigel.