Re: Building JSON objects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eli Murray
Subject Re: Building JSON objects
Date
Re: Building JSON objects  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
Thanks to you all for the replies. Adrian, your solution is working for me without errors but it's not actually inserting anything. I'll keep fiddling with it and see if I can get what I want but I'm confident now that I'm on the right path. As a backup, I did what I wanted to in Javascript and wrote it to a file that I serve from my server when users request it. Thanks again!

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Jan de Visser <jan@de-visser.net> wrote:
On March 27, 2015 11:38:42 AM David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Jan de Visser <jan@de-visser.net> wrote:
> > On March 27, 2015 01:12:52 PM Eli Murray wrote:
> > > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "json_build_object"
> > > LINE 1: insert into json(data) json_build_object(SELECT DISTINCT dep...
> >
> > You may want to review the syntax of the INSERT command, i.e. this doesn't
> > have anything to do with JSON:
> >
> > INSERT INTO foo ( bar, baz, quux, froz ) VALUES (NULL, 12, 'box', now())
>
> ​or..
>
> INSERT INTO json(data) SELECT json_build_object(SELECT DISTINCT dep...)
>
> ​David J.

Serves me right for bringing the snark without properly reading the OP :-)