Re: query plan using partial index expects a much larger number of rows than is possible - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Lewis
Subject Re: query plan using partial index expects a much larger number of rows than is possible
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 5:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Olivier Poquet" <opoquet@plumdev.com> writes:
> Looking at it in more detail, I found that the planner is assuming that I'll get millions of rows back even when I do a simple query that does an index scan on my partial index:

We don't look at partial-index predicates when trying to estimate the
selectivity of a WHERE clause.  It's not clear to me whether that'd be
a useful thing to do, or whether it could be shoehorned into the system
easily.  (One big problem is that while the index size could provide
an upper bound, it's not apparent how to combine that knowledge with
selectivities of unrelated conditions.  Also, it's riskier to extrapolate
a current rowcount estimate from stale relpages/reltuples data for an
index than it is for a table, because the index is less likely to scale
up linearly.)

                        regards, tom lane

Aren't there custom stats created for functional indexes? Would it be feasible to create those for partial indexes as well, maybe only optionally? I assume there may be giant gaps with that notion.