Re: SQLJSON - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Christopher BROWN
Subject Re: SQLJSON
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

I've enquired about JSON support in the driver previously:

Ideally, if the PostgreSQL database protocol can stream JSON data (binary or text), then any solution other than current "read it all into memory as a big fat string or array" would be good (i.e.: being able to read using "The Streaming API", as described here -- http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/json-1973242.html -- in addition to "The Object Model API").  The object model API is a convenience, but the streaming API allows applications to avoid memory usage spikes, retaining only what is needed and discarding the rest, with performance, memory, and garbage-collection benefits.

If the driver is compiled against the JSONP interfaces, as an optional dependency (for normal classloading, OSGi classloading, and Java9 modular classloading), then it carries no extra "weight" if not used.  The JSONP dependency should not be bundled with the driver, it should be made available to it by the application; the application would need it anyway before being able to process such interfaces via the driver anyway.  Similarly, the JSONP API uses the service loader API to load implementations, however, as an OSGi user, I'd be pleased if there was an alternative (because the service loader doesn't help you hot-swap implementations at runtime without restarting the application.  I'd personally appreciate it if the driver defined an interface for retrieving custom implementations of all the JSONP xxxFactory interfaces, delegating by default to the service loader-based "Json" class unless overridden (I'd override it, others may be happy with default behavior).

Hope that helps,
Christopher