WALWriteLocks - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Don Seiler
Subject WALWriteLocks
Date
List pgsql-admin
Good afternoon,

We're running a few PostgreSQL 12 instances in VMs in the MS Azure cloud. We have one instance in particular that will seemingly lock up for a few seconds (and on rare occasions a few minutes). When looking at the metrics, it looks like most of the active sessions all begin waiting on WALWriteLocks. Shortly after we'll see a flurry of COMMITs in the PG log. For example, we would observe 75-90 sessions all waiting on WALWriteLock for 30 seconds and then suddenly they would all write the COMMIT action to the PG log (showing the ~30 second duration). When this wait goes on for minutes, then it is definitely noticed by the app and users.

We have moved the WAL files to separate Azure UltraSSD storage and are working with Azure support to try to identify the bottleneck here.

My understanding is that the WALWriteLock is solely due to the session's commit waiting to write to the WAL file, so our focus has been on the storage under the WAL files. I'm curious if there are any other events inside PostgreSQL that would be behind the WALWriteLock, to make sure we aren't chasing a red herring.

Thanks,
Don.

--
Don Seiler