[ADMIN] Cascading Standby WALs Question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Don Seiler
Subject [ADMIN] Cascading Standby WALs Question
Date
List pgsql-admin
PostgreSQL 9.2 (I know it's EOL this month).

Current setup is one master and one standby. Standby does streaming replication but the master also rsyncs WAL files to the standby DR site. However the WAL file storage on the master is on our NetApp which is mirrored to the standby DR site as well. The standby has archive_cleanup_command configured and purges WAL files that it no longer needs.

Looking to turn the one standby into a cascading standby. However I'd also like to just use the NetApp mirror to make the WAL files available in the event that streaming replication goes offline (and cut out the redundant rsync traffic). My thinking is to do this:
  • Mount NetApp mirror read-only on all DR standbys (both cascading and downstream)
  • Configure restore_command to point to this mount on all DR standbys
  • Comment out the archive_cleanup_command since we don't want them to delete WAL files anymore (the NetApp keeps 7 days of WAL files, managed by a cleanup script on the primary).
  • I don't believe archive_command is in play on 9.2 standbys/replicas, but I assume I would want to disable that as well in this case?
Thanks,
Don.

--
Don Seiler