Re: Dangerous Naming Confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Seiler
Subject Re: Dangerous Naming Confusion
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 5:22 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 3:20 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 3/29/21 3:00 PM, Don Seiler wrote:

> I'm wondering if this is expected behavior that PG uses the
> dts_orders.order_id value in the subquery "select order_id from
> dts_temp" when dts_temp doesn't have its own order_id column. I would
> have expected an error that the column doesn't exist. Seems very
> counter-intuitive to think PG would use a column from a different table.

See:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/Pine.LNX.4.56.0308011345320.881@krusty.credativ.de

There is also an FAQ entry:

David J.

This is good to know. I figured it might "working as expected". Still seems annoying/counter-intuitive to me but at least we know to look for it.

Thanks,
Don.

--
Don Seiler