Re: template0 needing vacuum freeze? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Seiler
Subject Re: template0 needing vacuum freeze?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:44 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

So it's unsurprising that the freeze age increases until autovacuum
decides to do something about it.  I'm suspicious that your alert settings
are too aggressive and are notifying you before autovacuum kicks in.
You should *not* have had to do anything manual about this, unless you
have frobbed your autovac settings to the point of brokenness.

Shouldn't autovacuum have kicked in when the age of a table reaches 200M (our autovacuum_freeze_max_age is left at that default)? I see other tables in our app DB triggering the autovacuum "to prevent wrap-around" when they reach 200M. That's what had me concerned to see template0 with an age over 1B and no autovacuum even trying to clean up for it.

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us