Re: [ADMIN] Shutdown Order with Primary/Standby? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Don Seiler
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Shutdown Order with Primary/Standby?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
Set keep wal segments to something largish (1000 or so) well before
the upgrade etc. Make sure the volume holding pg_xlog can hold
1000*16MB of data. This ensures the streaming replicant can catch up
if some stuff happens before it's back up.

If we have both primary and standby down at the same time, would this really still be necessary? FWIW right now ours is set to keep 128.

Also, going back to my original question. Once both are down, is it best practice to perform patching/upgrades on the standby first (starting furthest downstream if cascading)? e.g. patch/upgrade the standby (via standard CentOS7 yum from the repo), then start the standby DB and verify nothing has broken, then do the same to the upstream or primary?

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us