Re: Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bhushan Pathak
Subject Re: Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error
Date
List pgsql-general
There was a redirect loop created somehow -
[root ~]# ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 May 12 01:13 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York
[root ~]# ll /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Feb 21 00:08 /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York -> /etc/localtime

I deleted both the links, updated the TZ rpm package & restarted the server. That solved the issue. Thanks for your help.

Bhushan

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM, rob stone <floriparob@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2014-05-29 at 20:22 +0530, Bhushan Pathak wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have postgresql 9.2.4 running on a CentOS 5 server. A JBOSS AS
> instance also runs on the same server, which connects to postgresql
> server [using defined connection pools].
>

> The issue I'm facing is that the JBOSS server is throwing out the
> error -
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: invalid value for parameter
> "TimeZone": "America/New_York"
>

> When I looked up on the internet, most common answer was to execute
> the following query from CLI which would expose the real problem -
>

> myDB=# SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names WHERE name =
> 'America/New_York';
> ERROR:  could not stat "/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York": Too
> many levels of symbolic links
>

> What does this really mean? Why is postgresql complaining for symbolic
> links? Any ideas what has gone wrong? Any thing that needs checking?
>

> Thanks
>

> Bhushan Pathak

We are still running 9.2.4.

This query works fine here:-

"SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names WHERE name = '$tz_name'::text"

HTH
Robert