Re: pause recovery if pitr target not reached - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: pause recovery if pitr target not reached
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 9:41 PM Peter Eisentraut

> On 2019-10-21 08:44, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > Probably we can use standby mode + recovery target setting for
> > the almost same purpose. In this configuration, if end-of-WAL is reached
> > before recovery target, the startup process keeps waiting for new WAL to
> > be available. Then, if recovery target is reached, the startup process works
> > as recovery_target_action indicates.
>
> So basically get rid of recovery.signal mode and honor recovery target
> parameters in standby mode?

Yes, currently not only archive recovery mode but also standby mode honors
the recovery target settings.

> That has some appeal because it simplify
> this whole space significantly, but perhaps it would be too confusing
> for end users?

This looks less confusing than extending archive recovery. But I'd like to
hear more opinions about that.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao