Re: BUG #9118: WAL Sender does not disconnect replication clients during shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: BUG #9118: WAL Sender does not disconnect replication clients during shutdown
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Sorry for the delay...

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 05:08 AM, jhedden@apple.com wrote:
>>
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Bug reference:      9118
>> Logged by:          Joel Hedden
>> Email address:      jhedden@apple.com
>> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.2
>> Operating system:   Mac OS X 10.9.1
>>
>> I connect a pg_receivexlog instance and have "hot_standby" archiving
>> enabled, with "archive_command" defined correctly.  When the WAL Sender
>> process receives a SIGUSR2 from the postmaster (or me), it fails to shut
>> down and pg_receivexlog remains connected.  Upon inspection, it looks like
>> the test for "sentPtr == MyWalSnd->flush" is always false at
>> walsender.c:1058 (sentPtr is still non-zero) where the wal sender should
>> be
>> shutting down.  Replication and archiving seem to be working otherwise.
>> Killing pg_receivexlog allows for the WAL Sender to terminate.
>

> Hmm. Before exiting, walsender waits until the client has flushed all the
> WAL to disk. However, pg_receivexlog never sends a "flush" pointer back to
> the server, so the server waits forever.
>
> The first question is, why does pg_receivexlog not send its "flush" pointer
> back to the server? It *does* fsync the files to disk. However, currently it
> only fsyncs when closing a full segment, but when shutting down, the last
> segment would not be full, so to fix this issue it should be taught to fsync
> also partial segments.

Yes. And, pg_receivexlog returns InvalidXLogRecPtr as the flush location,
so "sentPtr == MyWalSnd->flush" will never be true when using pg_receivexlog...
The quick-fix seems not to wait for that condition to be true whenever the flush
location is invalid.

> Fujii-san, how can walreceiver detect the closure of the connection, before
> reading all the buffered WAL from the TCP connection? What kind of log
> messages do you get when it happens?

I got the following messages.

[MASTER]
LOG:  database system is shut down

[STANDBY]
FATAL:  could not send data to WAL stream: server closed the
connection unexpectedly
        before or while processing the request.

> I tried to reproduce that with commit
> bee4a4d361c054c531c3a27024f9ff3efef3635b reverted, but couldn't. Although
> this was with master and standby running on same laptop, and this is
> essentially a race condition, so it's possible that I just didn't get the
> timing right to make it happen.

You would need to enable WAL archiving. Whenever I was able to
reproduce the problem,
I enabled WAL archiving.

Regards,

--