Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog
Date
Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Re: New option for pg_basebackup, to specify a different directory for pg_xlog  (Haribabu kommi <haribabu.kommi@huawei.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Haribabu kommi
<haribabu.kommi@huawei.com> wrote:
> On 18 November 2013 23:30 Fujii Masao wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM, Haribabu kommi
>> <haribabu.kommi@huawei.com> wrote:

>> pg_xlog.

>> directory.

>> symlink.

>> xlog

>> linux.

>> > Thanks. After finding the xlog directory absolute path returning back
>> > to current working Directory is missed, because of this reason it is
>> > failing while finding the absolute Path for data directory. Apart
>> from this change the code is reorganized a bit.
>> >
>> > Updated patch is attached in the mail. Please review it once.
>>
>> Thanks for newer version of the patch!
>>
>> I found that the empty base directory is created and remains even when
>> the same directory is specified in both -D and --xlogdir and the error
>> occurs.
>> I think that it's
>> better to throw an error in that case before creating any new directory.
>> Thought?
>
> By creating the base directory only the patch finds whether provided base and
> Xlog directories are same or not? To solve this problem following options are possible
>
> 1. No problem as it is just an empty base directory, so it can be reused in the next time
>    Leave it as it is.
> 2. Once the error is identified, the base directory can be deleted.
> 3. write a new function to remove the parent references from the provided path to identify
>    the absolute path used for detecting base and Xlog directories are same or not?
>
> Please provide your suggestions.
>
>> +    xlogdir = get_absolute_path(xlog_dir);
>>
>> xlog_dir must be an absolute path. ISTM we don't do the above. No?
>
> It is required. As user can provide the path as /home/installation/bin/../bin/data.
> The provided path is considered as absolute path only but while comparing the same
> With data directory path it will not match.

Okay, maybe I understand you. In order to know the real absolute path, basically
we need to create the directory specified in --xlogdir, change the
working directory
to it and calculate the parent path. You're worried about the cases as
follows, for example.
Right?

* path containing ".." like /aaa/bbb/../ccc is specified in --xlogdir
* symbolic link is specified in --xlogdir

On the second thought, I'm thinking that it might be overkill to add
such not simple code for that small benefit.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao