pg_stat_statements and planning time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject pg_stat_statements and planning time
Date
Re: pg_stat_statements and planning time  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: pg_stat_statements and planning time  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

pg_stat_statements is basically very helpful to find out slow queries.
But since it doesn't report the time spent in the planner, we cannot
find out slow queries which take most time to do query planning, from
pg_stat_statements. Is there any reason why pg_stat_statements doesn't
collect the planning time?

Attached patch extends pg_stat_statements so that it reports the
planning time. Thought?

In the patch, I didn't change the column name "total_time" meaning
the time spent in the executor because of the backward compatibility.
But once new column "plan_time" is added, "total_time" is confusing and
ISTM it should be renamed...

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao