Re: Condition to become the standby mode. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Condition to become the standby mode.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Generating a backup label doesn't seem to be enough because there is
>>> no backup-end WAL record and we cannot know the consistency point.
>>
>> Since 9.2 we allow generation of base backups from standbys, the
>> infrastructure built for should be sufficient to pass the lsn at which
>> consistency is achieved.
>
> Yeah, right. I'd forgotten about that.

On the second thought, using such an infrastructure seems not enough for
this issue. When we start new standby from the backup taken from another
standby, we use pg_control's min recovery point as the consistency point.

When we use this technique for the issue that Sawada raised, we will get
one problem that pg_control's min recovery point is zero because it's
pg_control under the master. The master doesn't update min recovery
point in pg_control. Only the standby updates it.

Therefore, we would need to find another way for the issue.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao