Re: Add shutdown_at_recovery_target option to recovery.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Add shutdown_at_recovery_target option to recovery.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> If we ask for PAUSE and we're not in HotStandby it just ignores it,
>> which means it changes into PROMOTE. My feeling is that we should
>> change that into a SHUTDOWN, not a PROMOTE.
>
> To me, that seems like a definite improvement.

But changing the default will force us to set
action_at_recovery_target to 'promote'
when we want to just recover the database to the specified point. This
extra step is
not necessary so far, but required in 9.5, which would surprise the
users and may
cause some troubles like "Oh, in 9.5, PITR failed and the server shut
down unexpectedly
even though I just ran the PITR procedures that I used to use so
far....". Of course
probably I can live with the change of the default if it's really worthwhile and
we warn the users about that, though.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao