Re: Moving RestoreBlockImage from xlogreader.c to xlogutils.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Moving RestoreBlockImage from xlogreader.c to xlogutils.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be better to declare it as a static routine in
>>> xlogutils.c? If we keep it in xlogreader.c, I think that we should at
>>> least wrap it with ifndef FRONTEND.
>>
>> If we do this, pg_lzcompress.c doesn't need to be moved to common for
>> FPW compression patch which we're talking about in other thread. Right?
> Yes. This refactoring came to my mind while re-thinking about the WAL
> compression. This would also make more straight-forward the
> implementation of hooks for compression and decompression.

Fair enough. Anyway I wait for applying the patch which moves pg_lzcompress.c
until we will have reached any consensus about this.

>> DecodeXLogRecord() seems also a backend-only, so we should treat it
>> in the same way as you proposed? Or pg_rewind uses that?
> DecodeXLogRecord is used by XLogReadRecord, the latter being called by
> pg_xlogdump and also pg_rewind, so it is not backend-only.

Yeah, you're right.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao