Re: [Fwd: Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello

>> > Main reason is a PGPASSWORD -- it is probably most used env variable
>> > with
>> > psql
>> >
>> > PGPASSWORD=****** psql is very often used pattern
>>
>> But it's not recommended as the help message which the patch added says ;)
>

> why?
>
> who can see this value?

I'm sure that the document explains this.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-envars.html
PGPASSWORD behaves the same as the password connection parameter.
Use of this environment variable is not recommended for security reasons,
as some operating systems allow non-root users to see process environment
variables via ps; instead consider using the ~/.pgpass file

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao