Re: left outer join with count - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gábor SZŰCS
Subject Re: left outer join with count
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello Gary,

Depends on way too many things, but assuming
- You are concerned about cardinality of wd Vs SJ
- SJ.sj_id is unique
- there are necessary indexes in place
Then I'd recommend subselect in SELECT clause, like:

select sj.*, sr.*,
    (select count(sj_id) from work_documents wd where wd.sj_id=SJ.sj_id) doc_count from
  service_jobs sj
  left outer join service_receptions sr on sr.sr_id = sj.sj_sr_id;

(Note, haven't verified syntax)

Maybe if you could send explain plans and index info...