Re: [HACKERS] ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ..SET PUBLICATION refreshis not throwing error. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ..SET PUBLICATION refreshis not throwing error.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/24/17 15:38, Petr Jelinek wrote:
>>> I wonder if we actually need the SKIP REFRESH syntax, there is the
>>> "REFRESH [ WITH ... ]" when user wants to refresh, so if REFRESH is not
>>> specified, we can just behave as if SKIP REFRESH was used, it's not like
>>> there is 3rd possible behavior.
>>
>> Attached patch does exactly that.
>
> And of course I forgot to update docs...

Do we want not-refreshing to be the default behavior?

It is a different behavior from the initial proposal. However, we fortunately have ALTER SUBSCRIPTION foo REFRESH PUBLICATION and can refresh later. Also, if "refresh" is more popular than "skip", it is just a small word in the command. That's the price we pay to avoid ambiguity that the previous syntax had.At least I think Petr's proposal is less confusing than mine (my proposal maintains current behavior but can cause some confusion).

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/