Re: [DOCS] Doc BUG and/or Change Request: Include Postgres's systemcolumns in reserved words in docs, Chnage to previx sytem colums with 2 underscores? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: [DOCS] Doc BUG and/or Change Request: Include Postgres's systemcolumns in reserved words in docs, Chnage to previx sytem colums with 2 underscores?
Date
In response to [DOCS] Doc BUG and/or Change Request: Include Postgres's system columns inreserved words in docs, Chnage to previx sytem colums with 2 underscores?  (dan d <dano2k3@hotmail.com>)
Responses Re: [DOCS] Doc BUG and/or Change Request: Include Postgres's systemcolumns in reserved words in docs, Chnage to previx sytem colums with 2 underscores?  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-docs
> Npgsql.PostgresException (0x80004005): 42701: column name "cmax" conflicts
> with a system column name
>
> My first step was to google "Postgres Reserved Words"   will eventually get
> you to Appendix C in the doc but not mention about any system columns, url
> for help page:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-keywords-appendix.html

The title is clear: *SQL* Key Words. It is not *PostgreSQL* Key Words.
BTW, system columns are documented [1].

> Got me thinking what the convention use to be in C starting out 30 years
> ago, should work good in Postgres as well?  Most all C compilers would
> prefix variables or items within system  struct that were considered
> system/reserved with an underscores or two.  This worked great before C++
> which brought classes and namespaces to assist in scoping.  This practice
> worked well to prevent name collisions between users code the compiler
> itself should work nicely in Postgres too.  Finally if this convention is
> adapted there could be one generic note in the docs saying "User columns
> should never being with an underscore."  This convention worked well for C
> before C++ exists, should work good for Postgres too?

This boat was already shipped a long time ago. You can't change that
without breaking tons of applications.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/ddl-system-columns.html

--   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento, Suporte 24x7 e Treinamento