Issues with PG15beta3 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Didier Michel
Subject Issues with PG15beta3
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Hello,

I am integrating new pg_basebackup zstd compression functionality in Barman for compressed backup.

I do encounter two main issues when using zstd compression algorithm:

On ubuntu 18.04 :
- command exemple:  /usr/bin/pg_basebackup --dbname=dbname=replication host=db options=-cdatestyle=iso port=5432 replication=true user=barman_streaming application_name=barman_streaming_backup -v --no-password
--pgdata=/var/lib/barman/main/base/20220811T162557/data --no-slot --wal-method=none
--checkpoint=fast
 --format=tar
--compress=zstd:level=5

Interesting part is "--compress=zstd:level=5"
- pg_basebackup response:
pg_basebackup: checkpoint completed
pg_basebackup: error: this build does not support zstd compression

On Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04:
The same command works. But When I try to introduce workers option (ie "--compress=zstd:level=5,workers=2") it fails with following error:
pg_basebackup: checkpoint completed
pg_basebackup: error: could not set compression worker count to 2: Unsupported parameter

Unless I have misused pg_basebackup (which is completely possible), I am wondering if there could be an issue with PG packaging  or compilation (especially for workers that triggers threads)

Hoping this can help deliver PG15.
Regards.

Didier Michel