Re: pg_restore fails to restore sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Spencer Gardner
Subject Re: pg_restore fails to restore sequences
Date
List pgsql-general
Actually, yes. That's the reason for backing up. We had been playing with BDR on a custom build but have reverted to the stock Ubuntu build for the time being. So it sounds like the issue is caused by dumping from our custom BDR build. It's not really a big issue - I've already rebuilt the affected sequences.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
On 28 September 2015 at 21:47, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Spencer Gardner <spencergardner@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm transferring all of the databases on my old postgres server to a new
>> server. To do this I'm using pg_dump and then pg_restore:
>
>> pg_dump --host localhost --port 5432 --username "postgres" --format custom
>> --blobs --file ~/backups/census.backup census
>> --and then--
>> pg_restore -Cv -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -d postgres ./census.backup
>
>> The pg_restore gives me a series of errors about sequences not existing.
>> The database is restored with all data intact, but the sequences are not
>> recreated.
>
>> [ apparently due to ]
>
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 193; 1259 27415 SEQUENCE
>> block_pop_hu_2010_pk_uid_seq gis
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  syntax error
>> at or near "USING"
>> LINE 7:     USING local;
>>             ^
>>     Command was: CREATE SEQUENCE block_pop_hu_2010_pk_uid_seq
>>     START WITH 1
>>     INCREMENT BY 1
>>     NO MINVALUE
>>     NO MAXVALUE
>>     CACHE 1...
>
> Seemingly, it's failing to recreate the sequences because of a syntax
> problem, but I do not see how a clause involving USING could have got
> into the CREATE SEQUENCE command.

Yes, this weirdly looks like it's been built with support for the
as-yet-incomplete sequence AM, which supports "USING local".  I don't
suppose this was dumped from a custom build to work with BDR?

Thom