Re: Vacuuming strategy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Venkata Balaji Nagothi
Subject Re: Vacuuming strategy
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Elanchezhiyan Elango <elanelango@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I need help on deciding my vacuuming strategy. I need to know if I ever need to do 'vacuum full' for my tables.

Important and critical configuration is "fillfactor".  "fillfactor" will have a greater impact on VACUUMING strategy. It will further help reduce or even remove the dependency on VACUUM FULL.

If possible, please set the fillfactor to an optimal value for Tables and Indexes which are undergoing high DMLs. May be you should start with a value between 50 to 70.

Only problem is - You will need to do a one-time VACUUM FULL immediately after you change the fillfactor.

Regards,

Venkata Balaji N
Fujitsu Australia