Re: Hosting pgAdmin4 behind nginx and at /pgdmin, for mortals - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Shaheed Haque
Subject Re: Hosting pgAdmin4 behind nginx and at /pgdmin, for mortals
Date
List pgadmin-support
Thanks for the kind (and quick) replies. My last email crossed with
the ones from Dave and Murtaza...

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 19:03, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> [...]
> line 127, in get_nodes
>    in_recovery, wal_paused = recovery_state(conn, manager.version)
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/pgadmin4/pgadmin/browser/server_groups/servers/__init__.py",
> line 52, in recovery_state
>    status, result = connection.execute_dict(recovery_check_sql)
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/pgadmin4/pgadmin/utils/driver/psycopg2/connection.py",
> line 1202, in execute_dict
>    desc.to_dict() for desc in cur.ordered_description()
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/pgadmin4/pgadmin/utils/driver/psycopg2/connection.py",
> line 1202, in <listcomp>
>    desc.to_dict() for desc in cur.ordered_description()
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/pgadmin4/pgadmin/utils/driver/psycopg2/cursor.py",
> line 94, in to_dict
>    ores = OrderedDict(self.orig_col._asdict())
> AttributeError: 'psycopg2.extensions.Column' object has no attribute '_asdict'
>
> It seems as though the version of psycopg2 is not what is expected,
> rather than anything to do with "builtins.SERVER_MODE = True"? By way
> of full disclosure, I do in fact have both psycopg2 AND
> psycopg2-binary installed [1] but some quick experiments removing one
> or other did not solve the problem.
>
> Have I overlooked something?
>
> Thanks, Shaheed
>
> [1] this came up in another discussion recently, and it seems that I
> ought to remove the psycopg2-binary though 4.2 was OK with this setup.
>
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 15:04, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>

> Hi
>

> It worked fine when I tested it. If you don't get any errors and you get a login prompt, it should all be good.
>

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 3:01 PM Shaheed Haque <shaheedhaque@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Dave,
>

> I'm just migrating to the fixes in 4.4. Can I just double check one
>
> thing? In my original hack, I needed to create a link "wsgi.py" ->
>
> "pgAdmin4.py", so the the corresponding gunicorn command is something
>
> like this:
>

>    gunicorn ... --bind unix:/.../pgadmin.sock wsgi:application
>

> Now, in the documentation updates as part of this fix, the last
>
> argument to that line reads "pgAdmin4:app" and not "wsgi:application".
>
> The reason I though I needed to use the wsgi.py file is that it
>
> contains these lines amongst other:
>

>    # Ensure the global server mode is set.
>
>    builtins.SERVER_MODE = True
>

> I'm not sure if, by following the updated docs, I am missing a
>
> necessary setting?
>

> Thanks, Shaheed
>

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 09:11, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>

> You're welcome. Sorry it took so long to realise the main issue was only applicable to Gunicorn!
>

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:29 PM Shaheed Haque <srhaque@theiet.org> wrote:
>

> Dave,
>

> Thanks for taking this forward, I look forward to 4.4! I also noted with interest that we can use "pgAdmin4:app"
ratherthan my hacky link to the pgAdmin4.wsgi, so that means a completely hack-free solution :-).

> Shaheed
>

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 16:33, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>

> Hi
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 9:30 AM Shaheed Haque <srhaque@theiet.org> wrote:
>

> OK, I got it working. This is how...
>

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 23:25, Shaheed Haque <srhaque@theiet.org> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>

> I'm a relative noob when it comes to the world of nginx, wsgi and so forth, but I do have several other things
working(a Django app under gunicorn and the RabbitMQ web UI directly behind nginx). However, I'm rather stuck getting
pgAdmin4to run at http://mydomain.com:80/pgadmin behind nginx. Is there a simple, up-to-date example of how to do this
(I'mrunning the latest, v4.2, of pgAdmin4)?

> I'm aware of threads such as
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2197768425D7F5479A0FFB3FEC212F7FF602B871%40aesmail.surcouf.local,and several
othersbut not been able to come up with a clear approach:

> One of the several variables I'm struggling to understand is the choice of whether to run pgAdmin4.py on port 5050
directlybehind nginx, or as a WSGI app under gunicorn. I assume the latter should be easier to set up, but I've tried
both(modelled on what I have working, and various references). One combination I tried was:

> - Creating a softlink from pgadmin4.py to pgAdmin4.wsgi
>
> - Using gunicorn to run the pgadmin4.py to a unix domain socket like this:
>

>    $ /usr/local/bin/gunicorn -w 1 --bind unix:/home/ubuntu/pgadmin.sock pgadmin4:application
>

> - Serving behind nginx like this:
>

>    location /pgadmin {
>
>        rewrite ^/pgadmin/(.*) /$1 break;
>
>        include proxy_params;
>
>        proxy_pass http://unix:/home/ubuntu/pgadmin.sock;
>
>    }
>

> But all I get is a stubborn 404. Any pointers welcome...
>

> First, I got over the 404s (caused, it seems, by me forgetting just how much my browser had cached :-0). The next
problemwas with the nginx config fragment: as soon as pgAdmin responded, it of course started the browser looking for
toplevel URLs such as /browser and /static which are obviously not under /pgadmin. The to this key was a piece of code
inhttps://stackoverflow.com/a/50515636/6332554, which basically adds the concept of a SCRIPT_NAME by hacking a small
wodgeof code into pgAdmin4.py.

> The SCRIPT_NAME is set by an nginx fragment like this:
>

>    location /pgadmin {
>
>        rewrite ^/pgadmin/(.*)$ /\$1 break;
>
>        include proxy_params;
>
>        proxy_pass http://unix:/home/$CLOUD_USER/pgadmin.sock;
>
>        proxy_set_header X-Script-Name /pgadmin;
>
>    }
>

> In addition to that change, as previously noted, I needed to create a link to pgAdmin4.wsgi to allow gunicorn to pick
itup. I change the name I used so I ended up with the link being "wsgi.py" -> "pgAdmin4.py", so the the corresponding
gunicorncommand is something like this:

>    gunicorn ... --bind unix:/.../pgadmin.sock wsgi:application
>

> Now, IIUC, the notion of SCRIPT_NAME is somewhat standard, and needed to solve this issue of running pgAdmin in
servermode, but sharing the domain with other applications. Would there be interest in making the needed code an
integralpart of pgAdmin? If so, I'd be happy to file a feature request.

https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/repository/revisions/f401def044c8b47974d58c71ff9e6f71f34ef41d

> FWIW, I think the reason that this was an issue for so long is that you don't need the extra code if you use mod_wsgi
oruWSGI - it's only needed with Gunicorn. I'll let you guess which of those technologies I'm most familiar with!

> Unfortunately this commit won't make the 4.3 release later this week, but it will be in 4.4. The instructions will
stillbe good for scenarios other than Gunicorn in a sub-directory though.