Re: SQL query runs fine on one platform (FreeBSD), but hangs on another (Windows) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Noel
Subject Re: SQL query runs fine on one platform (FreeBSD), but hangs on another (Windows)
Date
List pgsql-general
> Is both server/client running on FreeBSD or Windows, or are you switching
> only part of the stack?

When I run it it's all FreeBSD. When the other developer working on it
runs it it's all Windows.

> It shouldn't get stuck. It might be slower on some platforms, but it
> shouldn't really get stuck, so it might be a bug.

That's what I was starting to thing.

> On linux I'd recommend perf/strace/... to investigate the issue, but I'm
> not familiar with similar tool on Windows.

On Windows I'm not sure what he could run either.

> Is the query eating a lot of CPU, or is it just sitting there idle, doing
> nothing? Or is there some other process doing a lot of CPU (e.g. Java)?

IIRC it's eating CPU. I'll double check though.

> Can you try running the query through 'psql' directly, to rule out JDBC
> issues etc.? Try to collect explain plans for the query (maybe there's
> something wrong with it).

That's a good idea. I'll see what he can come up with.