Re: [HACKERS] On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kang Yuzhe
Subject Re: [HACKERS] On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...
Date
Re: [HACKERS] On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PGHacking...  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks Simon for taking your time and trying to tell and warn me the harsh reality truth:there is no shortcut to expertise. One has to fail and rise towards any journey to expertise.
Overall, you are right. But I do believe that there is a way(some techniques) to speed up any journey to expertise. One of them is mentorship. For example(just an example), If you show me how to design and implement FDW to Hadoop/HBase., I believe that I will manage to design and implement FDW to Cassandra/MengoDB.

The paths towards any journey to expertise by working alone/the hard way and working with you using as a mentorship are completely different. I believe that we humans have to power to imitate and get innovative afterwords.

There are many books on PG business application development:
1. PostgreSQL Essential Reference/Barry Stinson
2.
PostgreSQL : introduction and concepts / Momjian,
Bruce.
3. PostgreSQL Cookbook/Over 90 hands-on recipes to effectively manage,
administer, and design solutions using PostgreSQL
4.PostgreSQL Developer's Handbook
5.PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance
6.PostgreSQL Server Programming
7.PostgreSQL for Data Architects/Discover how to design, develop, and maintain your
database application effectively with PostgreSQL
8.Practical PostgreSQL
9.Practical SQL Handbook, The: Using SQL Variants, Fourth Edition
10.PostgreSQL: The comprehensive guide to building, programming, and administering PostgreSQL databases, Second Edition
11.Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL From Novice to Professional, Second Edition
12.PostgreSQL Succinctly
13.
PostgreSQL Up and Running

But almost nothing about The Internals of PostgreSQL:
1. The Internals of PostgreSQL:
http://www.interdb.jp/pg/index.html  translated from Japanese Book
2. PostgreSQL数据库内核分析(Chinese) Book on t
he Internals of PostgreSQL:
3. PG Docs/site
4. some here and there which are less useful

Lastly, I have come to understand that PG community is not harsh/intimidating to newbies and thus, I am feeling at home.

Regards,
Zeray

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 27 March 2017 at 13:00, Kang Yuzhe <tiggreen87@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have found PG source Code reading and hacking to be one the most
> frustrating experiences in my life.  I believe that PG hacking should not be
> a painful journey but an enjoyable one!
>
> It is my strong believe that out of my PG hacking frustrations, there may
> come insights for the PG experts on ways how to devise hands-on with PG
> internals so that new comers will be great coders as quickly as possible.

I'm here now because PostgreSQL has clear, well designed and
maintained code with accurate docs, great comments and a helpful team.

I'd love to see detailed cases where another project is better in a
measurable way; I am willing to learn from that.

Any journey to expertise takes 10,000 hours. There is no way to shorten that.

What aspect of your journey caused you pain?

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/