Memory error in user-defined aggregation function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adriaan Joubert
Subject Memory error in user-defined aggregation function
Date
Re: Memory error in user-defined aggregation function  (Adriaan Joubert <adriaan.joubert@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I've implemented an aggregation function to compute quartiles in C
borrowing liberally from orafce code. I uses this code in a windowing
context and it worked fine until today - and I'm not sure what
changed. This is on 9.1.2 and I have also tried it on 9.1.4.

What I have determined so far (by sprinkling a lot of elog's
throughout the code) is that it does not seem to be data specific,
although it seems to depend on the number of aggregations I do (up to
about 1250 seems to be fine, beyond that it chokes). I also
established that there does not seem to be a problem with the transfer
function, and the data is accumulated without any issues. The error I
see is in the call to first_quartile_final (listed below). The pointer
to the transfer data structure is not null, but accessing the field
mstate->nelems causes a segflt. So the transfer data structure pointer
is bogus.

I've recompiled postgres with debugging enabled and have connected to
the backend with gdb, but haven't had any joy in persuading gdb to
actually stop in the correct file so that I can step through. I'll
keep on trying to make some headway with that.

In the meantime I would appreciate any comments as to whether the
approach taken is the right one, and whether additional checks can be
inserted to avoid this segmentation faults.

Many thanks,

Adriaan

My transfer data structure is

typedef struct
{
  int len; /* allocated length */
  int nextlen; /* next allocated length */
  int nelems; /* number of valid entries */
  float8  *values;
} quartile_state;

On the first call to the aggregate function this data structure is
allocated as follows:

static quartile_state *
quartile_accummulate(quartile_state *mstate, float8 value,
MemoryContext aggcontext)
{
    MemoryContext oldcontext;

    if (mstate == NULL)
    {
        /* First call - initialize */
        oldcontext = MemoryContextSwitchTo(aggcontext);
        mstate = palloc(sizeof(quartile_state));
        mstate->len = 512;
        mstate->nextlen = 2 * 512;
        mstate->nelems = 0;
        mstate->values = palloc(mstate->len * sizeof(float8));
        MemoryContextSwitchTo(oldcontext);
    }
    else
    {
        if (mstate->nelems >= mstate->len)
        {
            int newlen = mstate->nextlen;

            oldcontext = MemoryContextSwitchTo(aggcontext);
            mstate->nextlen += mstate->len;
            mstate->len = newlen;
            mstate->values = repalloc(mstate->values, mstate->len * sizeof(float8));
            MemoryContextSwitchTo(oldcontext);
        }
    }

    mstate->values[mstate->nelems++] = value;

    return mstate;
}

And the transfer function itself is

PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(quartile_transfer);
Datum
quartile_transfer(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS) {
    MemoryContext    aggcontext;
    quartile_state *state = NULL;
    float8 elem;

    if (!AggCheckCallContext(fcinfo, &aggcontext))
    {
        elog(ERROR, "quartile_transform called in non-aggregate context");
    }

    state = PG_ARGISNULL(0) ? NULL : (quartile_state *) PG_GETARG_POINTER(0);
    if (PG_ARGISNULL(1))
        PG_RETURN_POINTER(state);

    elem = PG_GETARG_FLOAT8(1);

    state = quartile_accummulate(state, elem, aggcontext);

    PG_RETURN_POINTER(state);
}

The final function for the computation of the first quartile is

PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(first_quartile_final);
Datum
first_quartile_final(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS) {
    quartile_state *state = NULL;
    float8 result;

    if (PG_ARGISNULL(0))
        PG_RETURN_NULL();

    state = (quartile_state *) PG_GETARG_POINTER(0);

        /** HERE state->nelems causes a segflt */
    if (state->nelems<4)
        PG_RETURN_NULL();

    result = quartile_result(state, 0.25);

    PG_RETURN_FLOAT8(result);