Re: BUG #8588: Need work arounds for Apple unaligned access - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeffrey Walton
Subject Re: BUG #8588: Need work arounds for Apple unaligned access
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 11/11/13, 4:04 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Did Apple supply any patches or file any bug reports? Or is Apple
>> omitting acceptance checks?
>
> The clang sanitizers are clearly still experimental.  It's worth
> investigating the issues they point out, but they are not used in
> production builds.
I can only speak of Address Sanitizer (-fsanitize=address) and
Undefined Behavior (-fsanitize=undefined) because I use them often. To
date (and for me), every finding produced by them has been accurate.
They don't miss with false positives.

I'm trying to work through an address sanitizer finding now. This may
be the first false positive I encounter. Or it might be a valid
finding. I need to learn more since I've never seen it before.

For completeness, I don't use -fsanitize=memory or -fsanitize=thread.
I think they are closer to what your are talking about (experimental).
Valgrind and Helgrind are usually pretty good in this area (sans
spurious noise modulo suppression rules).

Jeff