For temporary tables; truncate vs on commit delete all - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Vanns
Subject For temporary tables; truncate vs on commit delete all
Date
List pgsql-general
Does anyone have any idea which is generally better (by better I mean
most efficient/quickest!) in this simple scenario? I have a temporary
table which I wish to retain for the duration of a long-running
session. However, for each transaction it must be purged. So, is it
better to;

a) Always CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE + ON COMMIT DROP for every transaction or;
b) TRUNCATE TABLE or;
c) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS

Both b & c avoid re-creating the table each time but at the cost of an
explicit purge of some form.
I would assume that despite its name, the latter, example c, is more
akin to a truncation? Or does it actually perform a deletion?

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Vanns